Thursday, September 8, 2011
Yes, you read that right. I made homemade potato chips using the microwave. No messy deep fryer or standing in front of a greasy skillet.
I was skeptical too when I was researching ways to make potato chips on-line. I figured I give it a try, and the results were extremely yummy. Call me a believer. The boys loved them and I think I made 5 potatoes worth last night to go with our pulled pork sandwiches. I even made some for my hubby’s lunch today.
All you need are potatoes, a little oil and salt. Oh, and a microwave. The recipe will be at the end of this post
Take 2 potatoes and scrub clean for skin on chips. Or you can peel them, but that is more labor intensive, and besides, the skins are good for you!
Using a mandolin slicer, food processor, or box grater, slice potatoes paper-thin. I like to throw them in some water and pat dry, so they don’t turn that pink color from all the starch.
Place sliced potatoes in a plastic container or ziploc bag with about 2 Tbsp of canola oil and toss to coat. You can also use olive oil or vegetable oil, which ever you prefer.
I just sprayed the glass plate in my microwave with Pam or you can use parchment paper. And arrange potato slices in a single layer
Now heating time may vary depending on your microwave. Some folks said 3-5 minutes, but my microwave took 8 minutes for them to brown. Start with the lowest setting and keep checking to make sure they brown.
(Make sure they a re lightly browned or they won’t crisp up. )
Once potatoes are lightly browned, remove them from the microwave onto a plate. Sprinkle with sea salt, or your favorite seasoning. You could use Cajun seasoning, dried herbs like thyme or dill, even chili powder. Repeat with remaining potato slices. I had to spray my microwave plate with Pam a couple more times, as they tended to stick after a couple of batches.
As they cool they will crisp up. Now you have delicious, homemade potato chips with no chemicals, preservatives or tons of fat.
It took me about 30 minutes or so to make enough for the boys, but I didn’t have to stand there and watch the whole time. And, my house does not smell like a grease, a huge plus. Try it tonight or when you have a craving for something starchy and salty :)
Microwave Potato Chips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 potatoes, sliced paper thin with or without skin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Pour the canola oil into a plastic bag or plastic container. Add the potato slices, and shake to coat.
- Coat a large dinner plate lightly with oil or cooking spray. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on the dish. I just sprayed the glass plate in my microwave with Pam or you can use parchment paper.
- Cook in the microwave for 5-7 minutes, or until lightly browned (if not browned, they will not become crisp). Times will vary depending on the power of your microwave. Remove chips from plate, and toss with sea salt. Let cool. Repeat with the remaining potato slices.